Current tourism demand trends show that environmental quality in resorts and lodging properties is a key factor when choosing a destination. EcoWorldHotel is the first Group of environmentally-friendly hotels and bed and breakfasts in Italy to adopt a unique and innovative philosophy in a new project aimed at safeguarding the environment.
The concept of the project was developed four years ago by eco-friendly hoteliers. Thanks to their experience over the years, they are fully aware of hotel management requirements and issues. It is easy to forget that even hotels cause pollution.
At EcoWorldHotel we would like to do our part in helping to safeguard the environment — which is now a pressing global issue — by providing a real and innovative solution. We encourage and support individual lodging properties in their commitment to safeguarding the environment.
The green hotels in our Group are actually able to apply measures that spare resources. EcoWorldHotel also facilitates the use of low environmental-impact technologies and energy from renewable sources. All the lodging properties in our Group have been carefully selected based on specific parameters. Through its network of qualified inspectors, EcoWorldHotel certifies properties to ensure that all requirements are met in order for the green facilities to become part of the Group. In addition, green hotels are awarded the EcoWorldHotel Environmental Quality Mark for their commitment to safeguarding the environment.
Therefore, when you stay at an EcoWorldHotel, you are making a responsible lifestyle choice in safeguarding the environment, even while you are on holiday. Among the wide variety of green hotels in the EcoWorldHotel Group, you may choose between different cities and locations in which to spend your stay/holiday in a more environmentally-friendly and sustainable way, yet without having to give up your comforts.
Choosing green hotels does not necessarily mean having to adapt to spartan accommodation. In fact, you will find that the environmental quality will make your stay even more safe, comfortable and relaxing.
Our Green Philosophy
At EcoWorldHotel we believe that responsible and proactive involvement of local tourist operators and their guests is the basis for an effective solution to the issue of safeguarding the environment.
To date, no hotel group or chain in Italy ever thought about addressing the awareness of tourist operators, in order to encourage them to improve the way in which their lodging properties are run in terms of being environmentally-friendly, as well the awareness of travellers/tourists to promote eco-sustainable tourism.
This is why EcoWorldHotel is committed on an ongoing basis to the following:
1. Reducing the impact nationally of activities related to the operation of hotels, as it should not be underestimated that even hotels contribute to polluting the Planet.
2. Increasing the awareness of lodging properties within the Group, so that they implement small yet effective initiatives on a day to day basis aimed at reducing consumption (e.g. by installing flow reducers in taps, replacing standard incandescent light bulbs with “Class A” fluorescent lamps, reducing waste, adopting measures to avoid the unnecessary waste of energy, etc.).
3. Encouraging lodging properties in the Group – including by means of advice and financial incentives – to use environmentally-friendly technologies (e.g. solar thermal systems) and alternative energy sources (geothermal, solar, photovoltaic, hydroelectric, etc.).
4. Promoting and meeting the needs of a responsible, environmentally-aware tourism.
5. Involving guests in our environmental choices, for example by inviting them to adopt some simple but important suggestions during their stay at the hotel, in order to protect the environment.
6. Supporting initiatives aimed at promoting and raising awareness of the traditions, culture and history of the country where we live or in which we are staying for work or leisure.
Support the environment – stay at an EcoWorldHotel!
The value of Eco-leaves
Hotels and B&Bs in the EcoWorldHotel Group are divided into five different levels, each of which is designated by an incremental number of eco-leaves, indicating the varying extent of environmental commitment.
A facility with 5 eco-leaves indicates environmental excellence.
The first level, which is designated by 1 eco-leaf, includes accommodation that meets at least 15 requirements defined by EcoWorldHotel to ensure that their facilities are environmentally-friendly.
For example, 1 eco-leaf hotels are required to:
• Check for any wastage of resource on a daily basis
• Install 60% of light bulbs with a “Class A” energy-efficiency rating
• Use certified-quality detergents
• Use at least 50% recycled paper for stationery
• Ensure strict observance of waste recycling.
Higher levels include facilities that are capable of meeting some of the optional requirements in addition to the mandatory requirements (there are approximately 65 at present). Each requirement corresponds to a specific score. The total score for requirements that have been met determines the number of eco-leaves that are assigned to the accommodation, as follows:
• 60 points -> 2 eco-leaves
• 120 points -> 3 eco-leaves
• 180 points -> 4 eco-leaves
• 240 points -> 5 eco-leaves
When the number of eco-leaves is between 2 and 5, for example, the facility is required to:
• Check the average flow of water from taps and showers
• Install devices to turn off air conditioning automatically (4.5 points)
• Use rain water (5 points)
• Use green resources for wooden furniture (5 points)
• Use electricity that is generated 100% from renewable sources (4 points)
• Appropriately insulate existing buildings (8 points)
• Provide in-room recycling bins (6 points).